Oh! Apple

My experience of using iPod Touch, iPod Classics, Mac OSX, Coding in XCode, or anything generally related to Apple

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My Apple Pencil pouch attachment for iPad Pro case

Ever since I brought an iPad Pro, I drew a lot.  The ability to draw anywhere I want with all my draw sync to a cloud storage is pretty amazing.  Since I want to minimize the time it takes from pulling my iPad zero from my backpack to starting to draw, I brought a case that is covers the whole iPad pro from a store in the basement of Hong Kong Golden shopping center.



But then in order to draw, I need Apple Pencil.  Up until now, there is no Apple Pencil case.  So I have to find a safe spot in my backpack to make sure that it's safely stored with enough padding.  That means every time I need to draw outdoor, I need to go to the process of digging out my Pencil even after I already yanked out the iPad Pro.  Furthermore , when I carry my iPad Pro around, I have to explicitly carry the pencil in order to draw.  If I forgot to do so, which always happen because that's still one more item to carry after all, I want to able to use Pencil until I go back to my backpack and dig out the Pencil.  Thus, I am very much convinced that some pocket or case or pouch needs to be attached to the iPad Pro, so that every time I use my iPad Pro, Pencil is always there.

I started out with elementary school student mindset to solve the problem : tapes, and lot of tapes.


As you can see, this doesn't work well.  The weight of the pencil will eventually break the tapes, and i may eventually lost my Pencil because it will drop thru the not-so-strongly-sealed bottom set of tapes.

Besides, this is a style/fashion disaster.  Project Runway judges will faint if they see this.

So I looked for a Plan B.

After a reunion dinner with my friends, I walked on the street of MongKok (in Hong Kong) checked all sort of stores trying to find something that is strong, light, compact and durable enough to host Apple Pencil.  After an hour and more, I found none.  I started to wonder if was hunting for a product that doesn't exist.

Before I gave up by approaching MongKok MTR station, I walked pass the famous/notorious street hawker street 女人街.  I thought, maybe I would find something here.  And it turned out, I DID.

I found a street hawker who were selling fancy Chinese style chopstick with a pouch.  

"That's it", I though, and I brought this set just for the pouch.

But then even if I can use this pouch to store Apple Pencil, we are still talking about carrying 2 separate items around. The logical next step is to find a way to attach this pouch to my iPad Pro case.  Since I live with my mom during this work-ation period in Hong Kong, I asked my mom for some sewing needle, elastic string and so on so that I could sew the pouch to the edge of the iPad pro case.  I am not great at sewing, but at least I did sewed stuff like ballet shoes before.

However, mom was excited and insisted on doing the sewing work for me.  And here's the result after a night of work.







Because it's attached by this purple thread, it's possible to take the pouch off, although I won't do it until the day I get a new case.  The button at the top secures the Pencil so that if won't fall off even when I turn the iPad pro upside down.

So there you go: my Apple Pencil pouch.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home