Oh! Apple

My experience of using iPod Touch, iPod Classics, Mac OSX, Coding in XCode, or anything generally related to Apple

Saturday, March 14, 2015

So I reset my iPad 3

Ever since I brought and started using iPad Air 2, I stopped using my iPad 3 as a daily used tablet.  Instead I only used it when I am taking shower (my iPad 3 with a protective case is prefect for hanging on the towel holder) as a podcast player.  As time went by, I found this iPad 3 getting slower and slower everyday, and eventually I got to a point that is too slow to be useful. And I thought, it's time to reset the machine.

Before I reset the machine, I needed to back up everything in it.  After all, I had some setting and some save game that I definitely want to preserve.  So I hooked up my iPad 3 to iTunes and started backup.  But then I was prompted that I needed to authorize to iTunes before I could back up all my apps and files.  In fact, I was prompted twice as I have apps from my US iTunes account and my HK iTunes account.  So once all the authorization was done, I went ahead and did the backup to my computer.

Something seemed unsettling, and I kept thinking like there's something missing.  Eventually I found out that iTunes DID NOT prompt me for authorizing my Japanese iTunes account.  So I checked my iTunes and found out that it didn't show my Japanese Puzzle and Dragon game.  I was horrified, because without that, the data of that game wouldn't be backed up.  So I explicitly authorized with my Japanese iTunes account, and then tried backup again.  This time I saw my Japanese apps being backed up.

With everything successfully backed up, I started  my reset process on my iPad 3, and then hooked up my iPad 3 to my computer with iTunes running when the iPad3 asked whether I wanted to restore my iPad form a backup.  That process took sometime, but since it didn't involved much human intervention, so I was OK with that.

You would thought that that's all, and it's time enjoy the cleaner (and thus faster) iPad 3.  But nope.

That's because most of apps I use on that iPad 3 are games, And it turns out that in addition to basic app download, almost all of those apps require some additional data download.  So  now I am in process of turning on each app, and then kick off the downloading process of each app one by one.

So as of now, I still can't tell you if my iPad 3 is running faster then before the reset.  Time will tell.  :-I

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home